Saturday, October 2, 2010

Cranberry Fest 2010!!





This weekend, Scott flew out to MD to pick up our new minivan. Yes, sounds a little on the crazy side, but it was such a great deal that it far outweighs the $78 plane ticket (quite a miracle to find one that cheap in itself!). SO Nolan and I drove up to Cumberland to visit Grandma and Grandpa Ostrem and go to Cranberry Fest in the nearby town of Stone Lake. Here was part of our experience. I'm not sure which Nolan enjoyed more, the ride on the "yewoh skoo bus", or the actual tour which decribed how cranberries are brought in. Nolan enjoyed trying the different varieties of craisens quite a bit, and decided he didn't like raw cranberries (after grabbing one from the conveyer belt and stuffing it in his mouth). After checking out the pics, I just realized Nolan seems to be chewing on his hand or something in every one. I think he's getting some more molars.
I guess I never thought about how you'd pick a cranberry, but apparently there is no picking involved. They have them growing in bogs and then when it is time to harvest they flood the bogs. They then use some kind of machine to knock the berries off the bush. Luckily the berries float so they round 'em up and get them on a conveyer belt. This small town of 1500 grows to an incredible 25,000 for one day of the year. They have a huge art fair and Nolan enjoyed the great parade (lots of marching bands, which he loves to clap along to the beat) I think we have a future drummer - yikes, we'll need some soundproofing in the basement.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.