Friday, July 24, 2009

Trempealeau Catfish Days

Last weekend was Catfish Days in Trempealeau. That is our local festival - seems every town in Wisconsin has to have some kind of summer festival. Anyway, there were many activities, including a craft fair, carnival rides, car show, food tents, and the kids tent. I volunteered at the kids tent downtown, but had a little time to sneak away and tour the lock and dam with my boys. It was neat because you actually got to walk out onto the dam. If you're not familiar, the purpose of the lock 'n dam is to control the flow of water down the river. There is a series of these dams built - I think up to 20 or so down the Mississippi. As you can imagine, that causes problems with boats - gotta get from one place to the other and can't go over the dam! So they actually pull the boat into this area that is then pumped full of water to bring it up, or the water is drained to bring it down to the correct level on the other side. Pretty cool to see. I have yet to watch a barge go thru, but hopefully sometime this summer we can catch one going thru.


1 comment:

  1. NEXT year Nolan might be old enough to enjoy catfish days. Jamie and I brought Lucy and Sam down there, but they are still just a little too little for the Kids Tent, and neither of them will sit still by themselves on the little train. I was hoping for more family activities, but the main attraction seemed to be the beer and the food.... just like Rutabaga Fest. :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.